Thursday, May 7, 2009

AIAP Newsletter 10/20/06


Keeping Your Client's Interests in Mind – Always a Good Business Strategy!

For years now I've done something I thought everyone did--that is until a recent conversation with a colleague.  As he and I spoke over lunch I related the activities of the previous day, including the mailing of a recent business article to several of my clients.

I was surprised by my friend's response, "I've never heard of that sort of thing.  Does it have any effect on your business?"  Well, the fact is, it has a profound effect on my business.  In a nutshell, here's what I've been doing over the past 15 years:

1. I subscribe quite a few business magazines (Forbes, Money, Business 2.0, etc.) and a number of architectural & building trade magazines and ezines.  For me, these resources have helped me keep abreast of industry trends and have provided opportunities for my own business.  In a short time one becomes very familiar with who the big players are in the architectural, building and development communities.

Aside from helping me stay up to speed with opportunities for my own business, these resources contain information that is extremely valuable to my clientele.  I'm always surprised to learn how disconnected many of my clients are from the "big picture" of their respective industries.

2.  Whenever I run across an article that I feel may benefit one of my clients, I send them a copy--either through the mail or electronically.  The information may relate to a competitor of theirs, new trends in their market, new technology that may benefit them or a potential business opportunity for them.


Let me give you a recent example:

I have a client who manufacturers a unique but rather hard to describe building material.  The product line is vastly varied, but consists primarily of natural materials embedded in an acrylic resin.  This product is used by architects, designers and builders in a variety of ways.  My client is always in search of new materials that can be embedded in their product--it's their edge over their competition.

Recently I read in a business magazine of a unique woven material made entirely of discarded copper wiring and other recycled items.  This product is produced by poor women in South Africa.  I passed the information along to my client who was thrilled, and immediately made contact with the supplier of the material.  This connection has benefitted not only my client, but an entire African village.  Now, the next time my client has a photography project--who do you think they'll call?

Here's another recent example:

Las month I read an article in Business 2.0 magazine which touted Adobe Software's headquarters as "The Greenest Building in America."   A commercial real estate developer with whom I've done business has launched a new venture developing so-called "green" buildings that are designed to conserve water and power resources.  I sent them a copy of the article this week and had an immediate response from them.  I learned that the article mentioned several strategies that they hadn't considered in their green designs.  Again, who do you think they'll call with their next photography assignment?

I should add that this practice extends far beyond forwarding magazine articles.  I'm always eager to recommend a client of mine to anyone who might be able to use their services.  We often forget that referrals go both ways.  It's extremely satisfying to receive a thank you note from a client for sending new business their way.

That brings up one more thing.  There's another practice that I think is important to mention--saying thanks!  It's been my practice to always send a hand-written thank you to all new customers after their first assignment, and to all existing customers following a major assignment.  I'm always surprised when I hear back from a client that they've never before received a thank you note from a photographer.  Not only is this an expression of good business manners, it cements relationships that ensure a constant flow of business.

Now is a great time to institute new practices that will give you an edge over your competition!

Best regards,
Alan Blakely, Director
The Association of Independent Architectural Photographers