Thursday, May 7, 2009

AIAP Newsletter 02/11/09

Dear AIAP Members,

As we move towards Springtime and a busier business season, I think it might be profitable to re-visit a few items relating to travel. I returned this week after a trip through the southwest that was less than pleasant with regard to travel. Here are a few items for your consideration:

1. TSA WORKS FOR YOU! I realize that they haven't been told this yet, but as I read the budget appropriations it does appear that you and I are paying their wages. Here are a few helpful guidelines that you need to understand to stay in control of your equipment when you travel:

a. You need to assert your rights under the law if TSA wants to hand-inspect your bags. First, tell them straight away that they may not open the bag unless you're there to watch.
b. Next, tell them that if they want to remove anything from your bag that they must do so in plain sight, handling the item with extreme care, and that they must place all removed items on the table in an organized manner.
c. Finally, tell them that they may not re-pack the items, but must allow you to re-pack the bag.

I've only had to assert these rights on a few occasions (this week being one of them). TSA was thoroughly miffed at me when I insisted on the above items, but complied completely knowing that I was well within my rights.

2. MAKE YOUR EQUIPMENT CASES TRAVEL FRIENDLY. Gone are the days of baggage waivers. Consequently it's more important than ever to have bags that are easy to inspect, easy to pack, and extremely protective. For years I traveled with full-armor ATA cases. I had a baggage weight waiver from most airlines, and travel was a breeze. That all ended in 2001.

Now I travel with high-impact ABS plastic cases that weigh less than 50 lbs. packed. However, I don't believe that my gear is any less protected than it was before. My cases were custom built for my lighting system and are a footlocker-style case with a piano hinged lid, heavy-duty hasp closures and riveted web straps and closures.

I don't lock my cases, but rather rely on the double closure system to keep things closed up tight. I traveled one time with the so-called TSA locks--they were all broken by the time I arrived home.

Here are a couple of suggestions that will make inspections less of a hassle, and the probability of loss or breakage less likely:

a. Paste a contents list to the lid of your case (or some other conspicuous place) along with a photo of the packed case contents. Along with the contents list your contact information. Checked baggage is inspected out of sight, and this list and photo will tell a TSA inspector that you're not only expecting an inspection, but that you'll know immediately if anything is stolen or broken in the inspection.
b. Place a conspicuous note to TSA on both the outside and inside of your cases. I make mine with a P-Touch labeler. My labels say, "TSA: Please re-pack items exactly as you found them and re-close all latches completely and securely to avoid claims."
c. Weigh your cases on an accurate scale, and pack up to 48 lbs. In my experience there can be a 1 to 2 lb. error in airport scales. This can mean anywhere from $25 to $100 in baggage fees if they feel you've exceeded the 50 lb. limit.


3. RE-CONSIDER YOUR EQUIPMENT CHOICES. I know, this isn't the best time to encourage photographers to spend more money on gear. However, you may discover that less is more. There's been a fair amount of discussion lately in the AIAP Forum regarding lighting equipment. Enough in fact for me to re-evaluate my lighting choices and make some new purchases. The new gear is lighter, more accurate (digital controls) and much easier to travel with.


Finally, I want to let all of you know that the AIAP is in negotiations with several major airlines for some concessions for AIAP members. Specifically, we're working on some preferred baggage policies as well as other preferential practices that will benefit AIAP members. We're hopeful that we can come away with some real benefits for members--I'll keep you posted.

Best of luck to each of you as we approach the Spring shooting season, and hopefully a more positive economy.

Best regards,
Alan

Alan Blakely, Director
The Association of Independent Architectural Photographers
www.aiap.net

©2009 AIAP