Friday, February 1, 2013

AIAP Newsletter January 2013


Last month I mentioned that I would follow up with more information regarding HTML5 websites.  I traded in my personal Flash website for an HTML5 website in December.

My primary concern was that my website wasn't viewable on my client's (and potential client's) iPhones and iPads.  Over the past year it became obvious that my core clientele simply wasn't going to my website because there was nothing there for them to see with the Flash version.

I consulted with my friends at Big Folio (one of our kind AIAP sponsors) about the dilemma and opted for one of their new HTML5 websites.  For a nominal fee they transferred the contents of my Flash website over to one of their new HTML5 websites.  To say the least, the result was astounding.

The first thing I noticed was that my website traffic quadrupled overnight.  Yes, OVERNIGHT!  I was stunned!  The trend has continued since the new website went up.  I've also seen an increase in inquiries coming from my website.

I asked Mike Caston, president of Big Folio, to put together a few facts about the HTML5 format.  Here is the information he provided:

HTML5 is the answer to:

Works amazing on iPhone.
Works fantastic on iPad.
Auto-sizing for browser size
Large Images
Video galleries
Unlimited galleries
Unlimited Pages
Quick loading
Google loves them

How does your website WORK on an iPad?
FACT: Millions of people search Google on iPhone or iPad everyday.

FACT: Google Analytics show that up to 20% of all your traffic could be coming from an iPad or Smart phone.

FACT: Flash sites do not work on iPads. 


How does your website LOOK on an iPhone or iPad

As an artist, I know how hard it is to keep up with the latest and greatest. BIG Folio makes it easy! BIG Folio specializes in offering stunning websites that work organically on an iPad.

Click on this link to see our sites. Our newest sites are HTML5
http://bigfolio.com/websites/photography-website-designs

They load faster.
They auto-resize based on browser window size.
They are rated higher by Google.
And, they are stunning.

(Thanks Mike.)

Whether or not you opt to check out Big Folio's offering of HTML5 web templates, you probably owe it to yourself to consider what you may be missing (in terms of iPhone and iPad traffic) with your Flash website.

For me, it was a no-brainer.  I only wish I'd done it sooner.